Educational Supervisors Training Package
Delivery Method: Blended Learning
The role of the Educational Supervisor in developing tomorrow’s doctors has been firmly established and enhanced. “The New Doctor” (GMC) was published 1997; “A Guide to Registrar Training” 1998 (Department of Health) commonly known as the Orange Guide and later revised as “A Guide to Postgraduate Specialty Training in the UK in 2007” (The Gold Guide)
Effective educational supervision is at the core of Postgraduate training in all medical specialties. It follows that a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities is fundamental to effective educational supervision. There are a number of competencies required to facilitate good educational supervision so that the trainee’s opportunities for professional development are maximised. Unfortunately a small percentage of trainees experience problems during the course of their postgraduate training. In these circumstances skilled help is required to assess and enable progress.
The new Health Education England Blended Learning Course is designed to allow Consultants involved in Educational and Clinical Supervision to perform their role in this regard effectively, enjoyably and to trainers’ and trainees’ mutual satisfaction. Clearly from the Trust’s perspective, arranging appropriate educational and clnical supervision is important for governance, risk and patient safety reasons.
The new programme is now available to Trust employees via NLMS. Please log in as you usually would for Trust e-learning courses, then select Course catalogue, then Postgraduate Health Care and Medical Education and then under the subheading of Junior Doctors
000YH Medical Supervisors e-learning
STH Sheffield staff please email PALMS@sth.nhs.uk for login credentials if you do not have access to the PALMS system for this course
For those who do not have Trust logins the programme can be accessed via the following link providing you have an e-mail suffix of .nhs.uk or .nhs.net
https://heyhlearning.org/theme/dynamic/login.php - (Please be advised the webpage will be down from 08:00 to 11:00 on 12th March 2019 due to essential maintenance)
The new format of blended e-learning & face to face delivery will consist of an online module and a half day face to face classroom session to complete the course.
The online learning will take approximately 3 hours to complete and the areas covered are:
- Trainees in Difficulty
It is important to complete all 3 sections of the e-learning programme before attending the half day face to face training session and to bring your development plan template from the e-learning to the face to face session.
Face to Face Session
MaxCourse - Online Booking System
All course dates are available to view via MaxCourse.
To book your place at one of the Face to Face Sessions to complete your training, please click on this link: MaxCourse and create your user account, following the instructions below:
Click on ‘New user – start here’
After you have created your account, you will need to ensure that the following additional fields in ‘User Details’ are completed in order to be able to book onto a course:
Profession – Select Educational Supervisor, plus any additional professions that apply. This will be used to confirm you are applying for courses relevant to your current grade i.e. not all courses are open to all to attend. Some are specific to your professions, grades etc.
The following fields can be found under ‘Personal details’ in the ‘User Details’ section
- Main occupation – please select the one that best describes your current grade
- Specialty – Select from drop down list
- Trust – Select appropriate trust or ‘Not trust based’ if that is applicable
Once you have created your account, you can search for the available dates:
- Log In
- From the right hand-side of the screen enter 'Educational Supervision Half-Day Face-to-Face Workshop' in the search courses field. This will then bring up all current course dates
- Select the date you wish to book
- Then at the top of the screen, next to availability click 'Add to Basket'
- Select 'View Basket'
- And then finally 'Checkout'
Click on ‘My Courses’ to see the list of courses you are booked to attend.
Support for Educational Supervisors around LTFTT
Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare (HEE e-LfH) has developed an e-learning session for Educational Supervisors of less than full time (LTFT) trainee doctors. The session aims to equip healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills to effectively supervise a LTFT trainee and raise awareness of the supervisors’ responsibilities.
HEE is committed to improving Junior Doctors’ working lives and championing flexible working more broadly. With work/life balance highlighted as a mounting concern to doctors in training, and the risk of “burnout” affecting recruitment and retention in some specialties, the need for increased understanding and positive promotion of Less than Full Time Training is essential.
- 20-25 minute e-learning session for supervision of a less than full time trainee
- Your duties as a supervisor of a LTFT trainee under the Equality Act 2010
- The implications of LTFT training in relation to Certificates of Completion Training (CCT) dates, Annual Reviews of Competence Progression (ARCPs) and training extensions
- What LTFT training is and reasons why trainees may wish to apply
- The benefits of LTFT training
- How LTFT training is arranged and the different types of post arrangements available.
- Highly recommended for completion by all Educational Supervisors, Training Programme Directors and Heads of School.
- To access the learning content please follow this link: http://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Component/Details/473676
- If you already have an account with e-LfH you can log in at this stage to access the content. Otherwise please register for an account using your work email address.