BMA Guidance on using Social Media
In view of the widespread use of sites such as Facebook and Twitter amongst medical students and doctors, as well as a growing number of well-established blogs and internet forums aimed specifically at medical professionals, the BMA issued guidance Using Social Media: practical and ethical guidance for doctors and medical students.
The guidance covers issues such as:
- Patient confidentiality
- Appropriate discussions of patients and practice
- Maintaining boundaries – the doctor-patient relationship
- Privacy and personal information
- Facebook friend requests
- Declaring conflicts of interest
- Medical education and employment
- Professionalism and social media.