- The department has longstanding International links allowing trainees to experience other health care systems whilst gaining specialised skills and delivering research projects in an area of interest. Specifically a large number of trainees over recent years have spent a period of training at the Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto, Canada.
- Local OOP opportunities in technical radiotherapy are available offering short-term specialist clinical training and research opportunities with internationally respected teams.
- The Radiotherapy Research Group has successfully supported multiple trainees in gaining prestigious National Research Council funding for individual Fellowships from the Medical Research Council, National Institute of Health Research and Wellcome Trust. These Fellowships have provided funding for trainees to pursue PhD's in a range of academic interests including basic science laboratory work, technical radiotherapy, patient reported outcomes, health economics and clinical epidemiology.
- In addition to supporting individual Fellowship applications the Radiotherapy Research Group has recently appointed two trainees to Fellowship projects within the department which will allow them to gain post-graduate qualifications working within established programmes.
- A range of other opportunities in Medical Education and Management have also been supported and trainees are encouraged to pursue whichever opportunity best suits their training needs and ambitions.
- To ensure our out of programme activity does not have a negative impact on our trainees remaining in programme we have an established International Sponsorship scheme ( ISS or MTI programme). This means we have a pool of experienced doctors employed to join our training scheme to fill any gaps, by which they gain UK experience and gain the full FRCR examination.
- Trainees are usually supported to undertake time out of programme to pursue a number of different interests which have previously included areas such as research or leadership fellow opportunities. More more information regarding applying for an OOP and applicaiton form please use the link below:
Link to Royal College information for out of programme training