Leave and Expenses.

Any queries regarding leave and expenses can be sent to the Public Health team at publichealth.yh@hee.nhs.uk  

Annual Leave

Leave for registrars from a medical background is regulated according to Junior Doctors' Terms & Conditions.  This is currently between 5 and 6 weeks per year, depending on length of service, plus bank holidays.

Leave for registrars from a non-medical background is regulated according to Agenda for Change Terms & Conditions. This is 27 days per year initially, rising to 29 days after 5 years service and 33 days after 10 years

Annual leave is booked with your educational supervisor. Registrars should liaise with their current placements and complete the relevant local forms.

Carrying over leave is not normally allowed but, if required, can be discussed with the Training Programme Director.

Study Leave


Study leave for academic courses and exam preparation is given at the discretion of trainee’s educational supervisor.

Study leave for the MPH is typically 2 days per week if studying part time and 4 days per week during a full time MPH, plus extra time to undertake the MPH dissertation.

Part A preparation study leave is typically 1 day per week during the 6 months prior. An extra day per week is also permitted in the 3-4 months before the exam so trainees can take part in the part A revision course arranged through the school (attendance at this course is compulsory for our trainees). However, it is important to remember that all study leave is open to negotiation with trainees' local educational supervisors, and should be discussed with and approved by them beforehand.

After the MPH, a typical agreement would be 30 days per year inclusive of exam preparation.

Study leave for external courses and conference attendances follows the Health Education England working across Yorkshire and the Humber study leave guidelines, which can be accessed here.


Study leave expenses that may be claimed for includes travel costs, course fees, hotels and subsistence.

Regarding hotels, payroll will only pay a maximum of £55 per night unless it is a Travel Inn, Travel Lodge or Premier Lodge (they will pay full amount) or unless it is booked via Capita Travel (again, they will pay full amount).  Capita Travel are a booking agency. You can contact them on 0844 7937381 and you need to give the reference NHS LTH LEE. You should make sure that you make it clear on your claim form that the accommodation was booked through Expotel otherwise it will not be paid in full.

Allowance of £25 is available if staying with friends or relatives, which includes a meal allowance.

For meals, a £5 lunch allowance can be claimed, providing more than 5 hours is spent away from principal place of work, including between 12.00 noon to 2.00 pm.  The evening meal is limited to £15 providing more than 10 hours is spent away from principal

Mileage for study leave is paid at 24p per mile.

Unfortunately, attendance at the Part A revision course, travel to university modules for the MPH, and the cost of exam fees cannot be claimed for.

The Yorkshire and the Humber Study /Examination Leave Claim Form (SL-A) and the online expenses system are used for study leave and exam expenses.  Form SL-A is an application form on which the study activities and expected costs are documented.  This form needs to be signed by your Educational or Project Supervisor and then submitted to Amanda Cartwright at HEYH at least 6 weeks before the study leave date for approval.  Once this has been approved actual expenses incurred should be claimed via the online system as per usual expenses, within 3 months of incurring the costs.

N.B. Form SL-C is no long used for claiming expenses once costs have been incurred.

Maternity and other leave

When leave needs be taken to cover unexpected circumstances, such as sickness in a dependant, the “Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust (LTHT) Special Leave” policy should be followed.

Maternity entitlement follows the “LTHT maternity policy”.  There is also an LTHT guide to Maternity/Adoption/Paternity/ Parental leave to provide further information. Guidance on maternity leave can also be found on the HEE YH website, here.

LTHT supports a salary sacrifice scheme for childcare vouchers, available through a company called Fideliti.

Travel Expenses

Excess travel

Excess travel can be claimed for if the cost of travelling to your training location is greater than travelling to your base placement. For example, if their initial placement (referred to as base hospital in employer guidance) is 5 miles away from their home address and their new placement is 8 miles away they can apply to claim for the extra 3 miles.

The rules regarding what constitutes your ‘base’ are different depending whether you are medically trained or not:

-        For medics it is whichever public health training location is nearest to their home (from the list of approved locations on the Y & H School of Public Health website)

-       For non‐medics on Agenda for Change Terms & Conditions it is their first training location.

Excess mileage is paid at the ‘public transport rate’ of 24p per mile. If you intend to travel to your new training location by public transport, this needs to be detailed on your ‘Request to Claim Excess Travel’ form and the medical staffing manager will determine what can be claimed for.


Business miles

Business miles can be claimed for when travel is for “business” purposes, as deemed by Payroll. This is based on the distance from your "principal placement”, which is the location actually worked from.  Therefore, this base changes with each rotation. This mileage is paid at 37p, 47p or 58p per mile depending whether your car is up to 1000cc, up to 1500cc or over 1501cc.


Claim procedure

Expenses are claimed using an online system owned by Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust to document the mileage and excess travel fares. Before submitting their first claim, registrars need to first submit a “Request to Claim Excess Travel” form, which can be downloaded here:

Request to Claim Excess Travel

The online system can be accessed here and any queries should be directed to the Leed NHS Trust payroll team.

Contact details payroll are:

Peter Wellock (Payroll ESR Lead) Tel: 0113 2065313

Payroll Department Room 038 Old Board Room Ground Floor Trust HQ St. James's Hospital Beckett Street Leeds LS9 7TF

Please note that for placements at the Department of Health, expenses need to be claimed monthly as Health Education England working across Yorkshire and the Humber has to reclaim these on a monthly basis.